ANSTHRLD - Name Submission Question

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at bmc.com
Tue Oct 26 17:08:53 PDT 1999

>    The given name the client has been going by is Evets ( his mundane name
>backwards). He is very attached to the name. His chosen persona is German
>(any acceptable time frame will do). His chosen surname is "von
>Drachenklaue" ( name taken from a German soldier who became the emperor of
>Byzantium in the 8th century).
>    The name I suggested to him was "Veit" (1558) found in Medieval German
>Given Names from Silesia: Men's Names by Talan Gwynek. However I did let the
>client know that he had the option of registering a byname that was closer
>to the one he is attached to.
>    Reaney & Wilson (p.157) lists Evatt, Evett, Evetts, Evitt,and Evitts,
>but gives Euota (1317), Evette(1420), Euote (1295), Evett (1555), and Evatts
>(1624).

I'll need to check the entry in Reaney & Wilson, but my guess is that some
of these are examples of inherited surnames.  By the mid-1500s in England,
most surnames were inherited.  So someone could be named <John Evett>
because their father was <William Evett>.  But somewhere back in their
history, there was likely someone whose mother was named <Evota> or
something similar.

>However they are feminine English given names. Although he was less
>than thrilled about registering a feminine name he wanted to keep Evets. I
>did let him know there was a possibility that the name might be returned;
>and that he might have more luck with "Veit" and go by Evets amongst his
>friends, after all he wouldn't be the first to do such a thing.
>     The question he asked was could he attempt to register
>"Evets von Drachenklaue" as his primary choice and submit an alternative
>"Veit von Drachenklaue" at the same time on the off chance that Evets would
>not pass.

If we can't find any better options for your submitter, your plan looks
good.  This looks like one of those cases I described in my earlier email
where <choice 2> is pretty close to <choice 1>.  If it were a case of
	first choice = "Evets von Drachenklaue"
	second choice = "Guillaume Francois le Picarde"

I'd say to submit them separately since they are so very different.

I'll let you know what I can find in my German sources at home.  Good
research, by the way!  You started with the first two sources I would have
reached for.  :)  And good summary of what it is he's looking for!

Gotta run home and feed the cat,

Mari

Lady Mari Elspeth nic Bryan
Bordure Herald, Kingdom of Ansteorra