ANSTHRLD - Easy Conflict Check, please

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Thu Oct 7 13:58:13 PDT 1999

Timothy of Glastonbury writes:
> I did have a question as to what the default position for a spider is.
> Tergiant right?

I believe so.  Winged arthropodes certainly are tergiant by default
(bees, butterflies, flies, et cetera).  Are there other arthropodes
which are untergiant by default?  Scorpions, say?

> So specifing it is overkill?

Arachnophobes would say that it's impossible to overkill a spider.
(The back of my hand to the arachnophobes, the scoundrels: spiders are
most useful creatures and ought to be carefully carried outside, in a
big fluffy paper towel so you don't have to touch them or look at them
*ewww*.)  It's a relatively recent innovation for Laurel to allow the
default posture for a beast to be omitted from a blazon (in contrast
to, say, default orientation), so almost all previous blazons should
have it.  It's a matter of taste nowadays whether you include the
default posture or not for a beast.

Daniel de Lincolia
- --
                    *** NEW PERSONAL ADDRESS ***