ANSTHRLD - Grant question

Dr Tiomoid M. of Angle tiomoid at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 06:07:50 PDT 1999

- --- tmcd at jump.net wrote:

> AO] Why is the Lion of Ansteorra on there at all? It is an award that
> AO] confers no precedence; as such, it has no place on an Order of
> AO] Precedence. Only orders conferring precedence should be
> AO] listed. OPs don't HAVE to show every kingdom order. Placing it at
> AO] the end like that gives an incorrect impression of the award--and
> AO] don't give me "everyone knows," lots of people outside the
kingdom
> AO] who might refer to our OP would have no idea. This holds true, by
> AO] the way, of any other awards conferring no precedence; they
> AO] shouldn't be listed on an OP. They can appear in a kingdom awards
> AO> list, which is different.

> 1) It has precedence.
>
> 2) The OP is actually the award and title list.

Actually, as with far too many things in the SCA, what most people call
the "Order of Precedence" isn't. The "Order of Precedence" is the
listing of taxonomical categories of award, in precedence order. The
term "Awards List" means the same thing, and doesn't refer to what
we're actually talking about.

The actual listing of who holds what is more correctly termed the "Roll
of Precedence", but "Awardholder's List" would be just as correct,
although less authentic; "Guide to Relative Precedence" would work as
well.

> (The same argument is used by kingdoms that rank baronhood as a plain
> AoA, but I don't like that either, as denigrating baronness.
> Personally, I think Lionhood should rank up there near barons or
> such, but I have strange notions when it comes to SCA awards.)

I agree. I would be in favor of making the Lion at least a Grant-level
award, although that would pain all of the
Ansteorran-tradition-fascists (like Robin) out there.

Tadhg