ANSTHRLD - Not - Grant question

Wendy Erisman wendye2 at admin.stedwards.edu
Fri Oct 15 14:31:44 PDT 1999

At 02:59 PM 10/15/99 -0500, you wrote:
>So has the college adopted an official plan of action to cover the remove
>of the requirement for the office of herald in shires, cantons, etc.?

The matter was discussed at the College meeting at the Red Tape event in
August, and Star's letter in the August Gazette explained the basics of the
policy. To summarize it briefly, groups below the level of barony may have
a local herald but do not have to have one. Regional heralds, with help
from various Pursuivants-at-large, will be responsible for promoting
heraldry in those groups that do not have a local herald. Baronial heralds
will be expected to help their canons and colleges. Submissions will no
longer have to go through the branch herald although it will be strongly
encouraged that submittors do so if there is a local herald so that the
branch can get their share of the fee.

>To wit, is there going to be more open consultation tables,
>herald-at-large wandering training sessions, and a new policy of
>registering arms only through the branch herald?

My office, Armillary Herald, is charged this responsibility -- I've been
calling it getting heraldry to the masses. I'm planning a major
consultation table, at which we will take submissions, for January
Coronation with the expectation that it will be repeated quarterly (ideally
at both coronations, at Gulf Wars, and in one of the under-served regions
in the fall). I'm putting together a traveling consultation box that can be
used for these tables or sent to other events for use by
Pursuivants-at-large who want to run a table. I'm also compiling a list of
consulting heralds with their interests and locations as an aid to people
who want to run consultation tables or traveling training sessions.
Unfortunately, all of this is progressing at a very slow pace because of
mundane work pressures, but I expect to get a lot done when the semester
ends in early December.

Another new office, Arbalest, is going to be responsible for helping people
whose submissions have been returned. We hope that this personal attention
will be helpful especially for submittors whose groups don't have a local
herald.

>Finally, is there anyway to encourage folks to want to become heralds?

This is a tough one. We recently noticed that, here in Bryn Gwlad, we only
had one beginner among the 5-6 people who usually attend our commentary
meetings. We know that several people in and around Austin are interested
so we are planning a one-day heraldic symposium aimed at teaching the
basics. When Elfsea did a similar symposium a few years ago, it was very
well attended. Hopefully, we can see more of these local workshops and
maybe the occasional regional symposium with a mix of basic and more
advanced classes as well.

						Gwenllian

HL Gwenllian ferch Maredudd, Armillary Herald
Barony of Bryn Gwlad, Kingdom of Ansteorra