ANSTHRLD - Precedence Question

jruble jruble at napa-bbi.com
Sat Oct 23 09:22:11 PDT 1999

On Friday, October 22, 1999 10:24 PM, Alisandre wrote:
> Which leads to a related question--am I wrong, and *is* it the
precedence
> of the
> Barony, rather than personal precedence, which counts for landeds? Do
> they march
> in order of founding of the Baronies, or by their date of landedness? If
> in order
> of Baronial founding, then Darius is probably right.

I always march them by precedence of the Barony they represent.  The
'office' is what is marching, not just the individual nobles, who will
have a lower precedence when they step down.  This means it goes in the
order of the dates the branches attained baronial status.  Thus, Stargate
always marches first behind the Royal Family in this kingdom, followed by
Steppes, Bjornsburg, Bordermarch, Bryn Gwlad, Namron, Eldern Hills, etc.

I tend to think of Vicars and Vicaresses as I do officers.  Just as a
branch level officer is referred to with the honorifics due AoA level
awards ('Lady Seneschal, Lord Sable Storm"), a Vicaress would be treated
with the honorifics of the office she is filling in for, minus the actual
title of Baroness.  She becomes, then, a Grant level officer like all
baronesses and in the old style would be referred to as "Her Ladyship, the
Vicaress'.  Or possibly 'Her Excellency, the Vicaress', except that this
confuses the issue.

Like all officers, when she steps down from the post, she loses the title
and the honorifics.  She is back to being 'Lady Blearyeyed', until such
time as the Crown decides to recognize her deeds in this and other things
and grant her a higher title.

Marching... My first instinct is to put them in the exact position they
are filling in for, since the precedence is based upon that of the Barony.
 But it is a very human reaction to see the Baron and Baroness as the
personification of the Barony, its status and honor.  A Vicar is not the
Baron, therefore his marching where the Baron should march seems illicit,
somehow.  And I can say this from experience.  When I have called the
Landed Nobles before the Throne, such as at coronations, any Vicars or
Vicaresses normally stay in their seats.  I then have to call them
specifically before they will come.  THEY feel they are not the Baron or
Baroness, that the position they are filling in for is not "Landed Noble",
but "Super Seneschal".  When they finally come up to stand with the Landed
Nobles, they appear uncomfortable.

So for a March of Precedence, I would put the Barons/Baronesses in order
of branch baronial status, THEN any Vicars/Vicaresses in order of branch
baronial status, then Peers, then Court Baronies in order of award date,
etc...  This way proper respect is paid the office of Vicar without
forcing the vicar into a spot people perceive as restricted to a "noble of
the blood".

Ulf Gunnarsson