ANSTHRLD - von Drachenklaue

tmcd at jump.net tmcd at jump.net
Tue Oct 26 22:50:36 PDT 1999

(I changed the subject line to be more distinctive and meaningful.)

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Riane de Cygne <rianed at hotmail.com> wrote:
> His chosen surname is "von Drachenklaue" ( name taken from a German
> soldier who became the emperor of Byzantium in the 8th century).

Please get more details.  George Ostrogorsky, _History of the
Byzantine State_, lists the emperors on pp. 580-1, doesn't show it,
but he doesn't go into many details there.

685-95  Justinian II *
695-8   Leontius
698-705 Tiberius II
705-11  Justinian II (again) Rhinotmetus *
711-13  Philippicus
713-15  Anastasius II
715-17  Theodosius III
717-41  Leo III +
741-75  Constantine V +
775-80  Leo IV +
780-97  Constantine VI +
797-802 Irene +
802-11  Nicephorus I
811     Stauracius, Nic. I's son

* Dynasty of Heraclius
+ Syrian Dynasty

p. 140: "Leontius, the strategus of the new theme of Hellas, was
raised to the throne by the party of the Blues."

p. 141: "Apsimar the drungarius of the Cibyraeot theme was proclaimed
Emperor [with the help of the Greens]."

p. 144: "An Armenian, Bardanes, was proclaimed Emperor", Philippicus
(p. 152), helped start the iconoclast controversy.

p. 154: "a civil servant, the protoasecretis Artemius ... Anastasius".

p. 154-5: "the Opsikians ... proclaimed as Emperor a tax-gatherer of
their own province, one Theodosius.  In order to escape this
unexpected and somewhat dangerous honour Theodosius fled, but he was
captured and compelled to accept the imperial crown."

p. 155: "Leo, the strategus of the Anatolikon theme ... came from
North Syria [or some say Isaurian]"

p. 186: "led to the proclamation of Nicephorus, the former logothete
of the treasury".

So there's not enough background on most of these to say more than
their original given name, much less how they originated.

Daniel de Lincolia
- --
                   *** NEW HOME E-MAIL ADDRESS ***
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at jump.net;