ANSTHRLD - von Drachenklaue

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at bmc.com
Wed Oct 27 12:13:21 PDT 1999

>> His chosen surname is "von Drachenklaue" ( name taken from a German
>> soldier who became the emperor of Byzantium in the 8th century).
>
>Please get more details.  George Ostrogorsky, _History of the
>Byzantine State_, lists the emperors on pp. 580-1, doesn't show it,
>but he doesn't go into many details there.

[snip]

>So there's not enough background on most of these to say more than
>their original given name, much less how they originated.

Agreed.  I was unable to find support for <von Drachenklaue> in Bahlow last
night, but I wasn't looking very hard.  I was concentrating on the given
name.  We will, of course, need documentation for the byname as well.

If we can't find documentation for <von Drachenklaue>, would the submitter
consider some other <von Drachen-> or <von Dragen-> byname?  I saw some in
Bahlow and can pull them if you like.

Here's the information I've found on <Evets>.

Hope this is helpful,

Mari

- -----------------------------------------------------

The submitter has several options for his choice if "Evets" won't pass as a
given name:

	- <Veit> as you found in Talan's Silesia article
	- I think <Evert> is likely as a period German variant
	  of <Eberhart> given the information from Bahlow below.
	  He could submit that as his 2nd choice.
	- he can have <Evets> returned and submit a mixed
	  English-German name along the lines of
		<some given name> Evetts von Drachenklaue
	  where <some given name> is a solidly documentable
	  German or English masculine given name and <Evetts>
	  is an inherited English surname.

- -----------------------------------------------------

GERMAN:
Bahlow [1] (p. 102 s.n. Ebert)
	"... contracted form of Eberhart;..."
	Ebert = Eberhart Debolt - 1566
[The equals sign indicates that this person is recorded with both spellings
of the given name.]

Bahlow [2] (p. 122 s.n. Evers)
	"son of Evert ie. Everhart"
	"sh. f. Everke (Han. 1348)"
["sh. f" means short form.]

- -----------------------------------------------------

ENGLISH:
Reaney & Wilson [2] (p. 157 s.n. Evatt)
	William, Walter Euote - 1295
	William Evett - 1555
	John Evatts - 1624
[These 4 instances use <Evatt> as a byname.  The 1295 instances are likely
true patronymic bynames.  The 155 and 1624 instances are likely inherited
surnames.]

Reaney & Wilson [2] (p. 150 s.n Ebbetts)
	Ralph Ebottys - 1534
	Simon Ebet - 1195

BIBLIOGRAPHY:
[1]   Bahlow, Hans, _Dictionary_of_German_Names_, translated by Edda Gentry
(Madison, Wisconsin: University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1993).

[2]   Reaney, P. H. and R. M. Wilson, _A_ Dictionary_of_English_Surnames_,
3rd edition (Oxford, England: Oxford University Press, 1995).