ANSTHRLD - Grant question

tmcd at jump.net tmcd at jump.net
Sun Oct 10 21:28:31 PDT 1999

On Wed, 31 Dec 1969, Amy & Bill Morris <awmorris at flash.net> wrote:
> However, there are several forces supporting the rise of a level
> between AoA and peer.  Three good reasons, and two not-so-good but
> very human reasons.
>
> The good reasons included a desire to raise Landed Barons and
> Baronesses above AoA level.

That's an Order of Precedence issue, not a patent/grant/AoA issue.
Ansteorra follows period practice in not having a rigid ladder of "you
got this, you go between levels X and Y".  Ansteorran landed
barons/esses rank just above peers; Landless White Trash^W^W^Wcourt
types rank just below.  I think the landless ones should outrank peers
too.

> A desire to reward kindom officers.

Do like in period: while in office, rank them high.  The Kingdom
Seneschal and most other Great Officers should outrank dukes.  When
leaving office, give them some "attaboy", but it doesn't have to be a
"grant".

> And a desire to regularize the granting of supporters.

I've never heard of any kingdom but Ansteorra regulating Achievements
of Arms (it's a kingdom-level thing; Laurel doesn't regulate them at
all).  It doesn't have to be linked to a "grant of arms".

One good reason not to have grants: in period England, you were
awarded arms by a grant in letters patent!  In England, "letters
patent" just meant it started with the equivalent of "To whom it may
concern": "Omnibus ad quos presentes litterae pervenerint", "to all
unto whom the present letters will have come".  (OK, other small
differences: "et ideo vobis mandamus", "and therefore we command you",
in place of the charter's "quare volumus er firmiter precipimus",
"wherefore we will and firmly direct" -- and the warranty of
execution, "in cujus rei testimonium has litteras nostras fieri
fecimus patentes", "in testimony whereof we have caused these our
letters to be made patent" -- and the Attestation of "teste me ipso",
"witnesseth myself", instead of "hiis testibus etc.".  All from
Tadhg's fine article in the 1990 KWHS proceedings.)  A "grant" was
just giving something.

I'd *really* like to nuke the entire SCA award structure to the ground
and start over.  Barring that, I'd like to prevent more deviations
from period practice.

As a side note: "his lordship/ladyship" / "honorable lord/lady" are
simply custom in some areas.  Laurel has never specified a special
form of address for grant-level folks -- the only Laurel-blessed title
is "lord/lady".

Daniel de Lincolia
- --
                   *** NEW HOME E-MAIL ADDRESS ***