ANSTHRLD - Grant question

Dr Tiomoid M. of Angle tiomoid at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 11:05:28 PDT 1999

- --- Joe Parris <sirwolfdude at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Tadhg, sounds like to me that you grew disilluisioned for the same
> reasons I did. I am not going to go into them, except to say after
> 10+ years of loyal service to this kingdom, I have squat to show for
> it.

It's an uphill battle unless you kiss the right butts.

> I decided, after an almost 2 year sabbatical, to not let that get
> in the way of my perception  of the Dream.

My "perception of the Dream" involves taking an AK-47 to about half of
the people at Coronation one fine day. Needless to say, that would
Cause Talk.

I took a 5-year sabbatical after I got my Pelican to see if anything
would change for the better. It didn't. I got involved again when my
wife got sick because I wanted to support her in her final months. Now
that that's not a necessity, I'm seriously thinking of rejoining Real
Life and letting the kiddies play being big frog in this small pond all
by themselves.

> Awards are all fine and dandy, but darn it, they just sometimes get
> in the way. We try to idolize what the time period that we span was
> about and that means we also mimic its "ranking" system. Sadly, we do
> not know the full intent for some of the badges and what they mean,
> so we come up with our own meanings and our own badges.

Oh, some of us do know, very well, but we're the ones nobody listens to
because doing so would "spoil the game" for the tedious half-wits that
like to make all of the noise. One of the things that the SCA does
recreate very accurately is the venality and petty personal political
backbiting (and backstabbing) that characterized the worst of the
period. Everybody likes to bloviate about how the SCA "recreates the
good parts and avoids the bad parts", when the sad truth is that it's
just the other way around.

> So, with all this discussion I have seen, we are going around in
> circles here. Nothing is being determined, except the fact that we
> get to see the bad side of someone that just so happened to get
> passed over, left out, or is just plain grouchy.

And that attitude is the reason why things never improve. "For evil to
triumph, it is merely necessary for good men to do nothing." Being a
good little Sonderkommando doesn't help get rid of the camp.

> Now let us discuss real Heraldic issues and leave personal opinions
> and pissiness out of this discussion group, ok??

Fine. One of the first "personal opinions and pissiness" I plan to
leave out of this discussion group is yours. I'm sure you'll support me
in this, since it's your own idea.

Tadhg