ANSTHRLD - Catamount

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Thu Sep 16 18:14:11 PDT 1999

> Help!  I have a question regarding catamounts. Do they have an
> understood/default color?

I can't find if they do, but I suspect they don't, being heraldic beasties.
Remember that if there's a default, the charge is heraldically tinctured
with the next tincture mentioned in the blazon anyway, so unless someone
put in a "proper" somewhere, it's not in default tincturing.

> I ask this because while in the midst of making banners for all the
> Mooneschadowe Guardians & their Queens of Grace & Wisdom, I made Countess
> Catriona's, with a green catamount, not sable as she says it is.  I pulled
> the device description straight off the armorial web pages:
>
>      Argent, a catamount passant regardant and in base three shamrocks all
> within a bordure embattled vert.

You're right.  My Armorial has the precise same blazon for Catriona Heather
MacLochlainn, and by that blazon the catamount is vert.  If Countess Catriona
thinks it should be sable, she might be mistaken.  If it was supposed to be
sable when registered, she'll have to have a copy of the colour emblazon
looked at and the blazon corrected.  (I'd also suggest her digging out her
notification letter and matching blazons to be certain.)  If she wants it
sable and it was vert when submitted, she'll have to submit a change.
(Corrections cost nothing, a change is handled just like a new submission.)

Congratulations, Estrill, you might just be opening yourself up to handle
your first administrative action in the CoA.  :)

- - Teceangl
- --
      Conflict checker to knaves, knights, kings, and all between.