ANSTHRLD - Associated checks for device: Sable, a sextant Or.

Amy Forsyth aforsyth at uh.edu
Mon Sep 13 14:50:43 PDT 1999

At 03:29 PM 9/13/99 -0500, you wrote:
>If I may express my personal opinion?  (Chorus: Like you've ever
>stopped in the past?!  Sit down, Dan, sit down!)
>
>It's rare enough to have such charges on arms (perhaps not quite as
>uncommon as badges?  I don't know).  Further, something developed at
>the very end of period, while registerable, is highly unlikely to have
>ever been used in period armory.  The product of the improbabilities
>is, well, very improbable, very far from core period style.
>
>While it's tempting to use the fruits of that research for a
>submission, I would still advise him to go with a quadrant (or,
>better, something more common, but if he wants such an instrument, a
>quadrant).

Ah....personal opinions....!  How many have fallen victim to mere ideas?

Core period style.  That's another issue.  It's not just core period, but
also core cultural style.  And I'm sure that many, much more knowledgable
people than myself could have an incredible debate on that issue(s).

Christoforo's persona isn't from the heraldry core period; he's very
definitely Renaissance.  And I don't think I need to extol the virtues of
the time and scientific developments.  Nor do we need to discuss the
reflection of vocation and avocation within heraldry's symbolism.

But yes, you've hit upon what is a very likely plan.  Registering the
quadrant as his arms, because he will occasionally fight chiv. and that
transfers as a more acceptable device to the powers that be.  And then
using the sextant as a badge.  The reason being that he's been using a
round buckler in rapier for the past 6-7 years that is Sable, an 18th c.
sextant Or.  He won't give up the buckler, which is made of waxed-boiled
leather and it's impossible to redo the design on it.  Since he's known by
that buckler; he may as well register something similiar.

>> It's now at a point where either he's going to submit what he wants,
>> or it's going to get submitted for him.
>
>Um.  Please don't.
>
>Daniel de Lincolia
>--

Uh....Daniel, anyone ever tell you to stay out of an argument between a man
and wife?  Besides, I didn't say *what* would be submitted.

The problem is that I can't get him to sit down and draw out the silly
things.  It's either his nice, neat, accurate drawing, or my poor
renditions which he's fond of vetoing.  So, there's more going on here than
you're aware.

- ------
Hey, at least I talked him out of the *really* ancient navigational device
- --- a few sticks crossing each other at various angles with a few measuring
marks.  We'd be trying to figure out where to place the sticks along the
measuring bar just to keep it from conflicting with a cross!
- ------

Did anyone get to check the "bowed psaltreys, trilliums and valknuts" and
knots?

~Adela