ANSTHRLD - Scot's Gaelic Translation

Patrick Cuccurello pat at adtelusa.com
Tue Sep 14 13:58:26 PDT 1999

Greetings all,

I've been lurking here for awhile, and decided to pop my head up and say
hello.  For those of you that I haven't had to pleasure of meeting yet, I'm
Master Petruccio Alfonso Maria Cuccieri de Cataluna (yeah, I know it's
long--you can use Pet. de Cat. for short).  I've been involved in many
levels of the Herald's Office in the lands that I moved from.  These have
ranged from a Baronial Pursuivant, Principality Herald, Kingdom Precedence
Herald, to Kingdom Drop-Dead-Drag-me-and-chain-me-to-the-Desk Herald.  I've
been out of the mix for the past couple of years working on career and
moving to Ansteorra.  I look forward to meeting all of you in the future :)

I have a question for those out there with a command of Scot's Gaelic.  I
make no pretense that Gaelic is a complete mystery to me and tends to hang
about my tongue like a new bride to her husband's neck.  Anyway, I've run
across a gentle out in what use to be the Shire of Black Oak Keep who would
like to use a Scot's Gaelic name for his Household.  If anyone could please
tell me the Scot's Gaelic translation for what "Stonegate"  would be
(including some clue as to pronunciation) I'd appreciate it.  He would also
like to know if naming practices would also allow him to use that as a
family name (for registering a personal name).  If not, is there some
semblance that he could use for a family name in keeping with the
"Stonegate" concept.  Where he is a very early persona, I could see where a
simple place nonclementure could work, but again, I have really no
background in the Gaelic languages.
Therefore, I figure it is better to plead ignorance and ask those who are
more knowledgable than I on the subject.

Hope to meet you all at events,
   Petruccio