ANSTHRLD - Opinions Please

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Wed Apr 5 15:23:23 PDT 2000

Darius / Darius and Monica <dmmerlick at earthlink.net> wrote:
> AElfwyn wrote:
> > Okay, then, what do y'all think of a simple "(Fieldless) A hunting
> > horn sable"?  Double-check me, but I think it's clear.
>
> Nice Idea for a badge but it just doesn't say "This is Ansteorra's
> Champion Archer" to me.

No, but it says "Huntsman" pretty well, and if it's "per pale sable
and Or" (look, Ma!  Using the Ansteorran colors without the
stereotyped star!) it suggests "Ansteorran" as well.

The king's champion is the guy in armor with a sword who rode the
horse into the coronation banquet hall and upheld the king's claim.
There's no period way to say "King's Champion Archer", except perhaps
for the slightly-post-period Silver Arrow of S. Andrews:
http://www.linksarchers.ndirect.co.uk/scottisharcher/pages/issue11/silver.htm
I'd therefore rather emphasize something that *could* be period --
a huntsman with especial favour from the Crown.

Daniel "The Order of John Peel?" de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)