ANSTHRLD - conflict check (was Opinions Please)

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Fri Apr 7 07:59:36 PDT 2000

Darius wrote:
> Their Majesties have stated their preference is:
>
> (fieldless) On a sheaf of arrows Gules, fletched and barbed Or, a
> Mullet of five greater and five lesser points

[Daniel begins banging his head on the desk]
So much for "Unicus et Singularis".
So much for not specifying heraldic fru-fru.
(Rule-of-thumb complexity count of 5 on a fieldless badge.  Sigh.)

Out of curiosity, what choices were they presented, and by whom?
Keeping in mind that there's a school of thought that Star Principal
Herald ought to be their primary heraldic advisor and kept up-to-date
on all dealings with the royals?

> Being as I am not necessarily the best at This ...

Caelin on Andrede / "Richard Threlkeld" <rjt2 at airmail.net> wrote:
] What is the tincture of the Mullet. If sable, we have color
] on color.

Just a Side Note: SCA blazons capitalizes only the first word, the
word "Fieldless", the tincture "Or", and any proper names.  (English
text capitalizes only the first word of a sentence, the pronoun "I",
most acronyms, proper names, et cetera.)

The blazon as given is not usable as-is.  As Caelin noted, there's no
tincture given for the mullet.  I'll bet 20 dollars to anyone's 5
cents that the Crown wants it specifically sable; any takers?

Second, the mullet cannot be "on" arrows.  "On" means it's a tertiary
charge, a charge lying entirely upon another charge.  You can't fit
anything on the shaft.  Conceivably, you might charge an arrow on its
head or fletching, but there's but one mullet and three arrows with
separate heads and tails.

    [Fieldless] A sheaf of arrows gules fletched and barbed Or,
    overall a mullet of five greater and five lesser points sable.

Close to but clear of Dragonsspine, Kirk of Wendarrow, Kuji Ka
Onimusashi, Robyn McLaren, and several others.  There are 71 pieces of
armory with three arrows, most of them in a sheaf.  I have a group
meeting in 4 minutes, so I can't check now.  Anyone checking a raw
e-Armorial should check for "ARROW:3"; the keywords after that vary
too much to search for.

Daniel de Lincolia, distempered
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)