ANSTHRLD - submission question (Sla'ine)

Kathri at aol.com Kathri at aol.com
Fri Apr 7 14:08:38 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/7/2000 2:37:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
jds-emma at operamail.com writes:

> The badge has changed to "Or, a wolf couchant reguardant gules
>  maintaining in its mouth a sword fesswise proper".  Will that work
>  on an Or background?  Or would fieldless be better?

Either will work, if the badge is clear of conflict.  Experts, what say you?

> Also, her
>  original drawing had the tail erect -- I'm not sure if that should be
>  explicitly blazoned, or changed (no definition of 'couchant' I can find
>  references the tail at all).

No, don't blazon it.  The position of the tail isn't part of the definition
of 'couchant'  and it varies.  Some are curled up over the back, some are
"erect," some are wrapped around the beast, some are below the beast, and
there are quite a few that go under the back of the body and then back up
between the hind leg and the side to wave merrily in the air. It's not
usually blazoned.  Out of the first 200 examples in the O&A, the tail was
blazoned only 7 times.  And in most of those cases, something Rather Odd was
happening -- by which I mean something besides what I've listed above!

Kathri