ANSTHRLD - Documentation help...

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Mon Apr 17 23:34:03 PDT 2000

> I am the (relatively) new herald in Bonwicke and know
> almost nothing as of yet.  One of the people in my
> barony is trying to document her name, and I don't
> know where to look to help her. The name is Katarina
> and if it helps, she has a French persona.  Anything
> you can give me would be wonderful and greatly
> appreciated.

Start at the Academy of Saint Gabriel Library:
    http://www.s-gabriel.org/docs/
or The Medieval Names archive:
    http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/

I found <Katerine> in the article "An Index to the Given Names in the 1292
Census of Paris" at http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/paris.html
which is linked to both the above pages.

<Katheline> and <Kathelyne> are in the article "Flemish Names from Bruges,
1400-1600" at http://www.s-gabriel.org/docs/bruges/

And <Katherine> is in "Sixteenth Century Norman Names" at
http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/cateline/norman16.html

Caterina is also found in the Italian women's names listings on those pages.
It's also found in the article "Feminine Given Names in _A Dictionary of
English Surnames_" at http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/talan/reaney/
Remember that many English names are rooted in Normandy, so that's a good
reference to check for French names, too.

You're doing great.  I got up in front of my shire and said, "I don't really
know much yet, but I know where to get help."  They made me their herald.
Now I'm helping other people.

- Teceangl
--
                Gwell car yn y llys nag aur ar fys