ANSTHRLD - Branch device change-how to's?

Richard Culver rbculver at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 29 08:53:50 PDT 2000

>I'm feeling a premonition of dread here.

  Are you always so optimistic?

  Did they consult with
>experienced heralds before getting designs?

   Our seneschal, Centurion Airaklee Wolf, said he ran it by some herald
however I currently do not recall the name.  The rough loine drawing is on
our site at www.glaslyn.org.

  Mind you, I'm not saying
>anything about Glaslyn in particular.  I don't know anything about
>Glaslyn (except that it's a canton of the Steppes, and I have a vague
>memory of consulting about something last Warlord).  It's just that
>SCA groups are some of the worst perpetrators of cliches and
>non-period-but- registerable things.  A single submitter you may be
>able to convince to go with better style.  Once a group decides that
>their design "sings" and "resonates", it's like trying to convince
>musk oxen.

   Well I do not know about this.  I do know it is the opinion of the
majority of the canton (three times the votes of the second closest design)
and they feel it represents them.  If it does not work, there was really no
harm in trying.  Glaslyn is a good group and is not nearly as full of itself
as some might be.

>Step 0: reply to this note and give us a blazon or plain-English
>description of the arms.  We can comment on style issues, maybe find a
>conflict, et cetera.

  Well since it is probably cliche, here it goes and I hope I make sense:

   the field is Or,  in the center a pheonix maintaining a laurel wreath, a
fire coming from the base (issuant, I believe), in chief three rings. All
gules.  this is then countercharged(?) per pale.

>As to how to demonstrate group approval: I don't think you should go
>the officers-only route; this is something to get everyone in on.  Get
>a sheet of paper with lines for signatures.  Put at the top something
>like "We, the undersigned, are members of the populace of the Canton
>of Glaslyn.  We support the change of the canton arms to be [blazon],
>as emblazoned in the margin."

  This was how I would have planned it anyway.  It was the poulace who voted
on it.  The officers support it too (even if it beat mine).

  Get someone to draw a line drawing of
>the proposed arms on the sheet, with enough detail that everyone knows
>what they're approving, but with enough room for enough signatures.
>Copy this master sheet a few times (just to provide enough lines for
>everyone), and color in the line drawings so people know the colors
>too.  Don't get the boilerplate on each page be *too* big.
>Kingdom and Laurel are completely unimpressed by fancy calligraphy or
>large words, especially if that means there's only room for two
>signatures per page and hence a 15-page petition.  Double-sided
>copying is your friend.

  Okay, we happen to be associated with a very talented artist.  We can do.

>That premised: a canton should NOT piss off the barony.  Especially, a
>new canton should NOT piss off a barony with more than $10,000 in their
>treasury.  (Are you guys *nuts*?)

  Well, that is one of the many labels given Glaslyn over the years, but we
feel rational enough.  We had no intention of pissing off the barony.  If I
remember correctly, we had mentioned this to their Excellencies previously.
Our two groups had not always felt so strongly about one another in the
past, but we are working on it now.

Thanks,
Cyniric