ANSTHRLD - Branch device change-how to's?

tmcd at jump.net tmcd at jump.net
Sun Apr 30 09:37:12 PDT 2000

On Sat, 29 Apr 2000, Richard Culver <rbculver at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >I've never seen one where the bird was up *there* and the flame was
> >down *there* and they're barely touching at one point.  That's why
> >I blazoned it "a bird and a point pointed of flame".
>
> To make the bird burning, would we have to remove the flame in the
> base?
> Can the phoenix be aflame and still be above the fire?

Your group wants a phoenix AND a separate flame?  I assumed the flame
was supposed to be part *of* the phoenix.  Um, not to be critical, but
isn't that sort of redundant?

You can have "a flame" as a charge.  It can't be done like it was
drawn on the Web site.  It has to be a flame as a charge.  It doesn't
have to be smooth like a candle flame, and actually probably
shouldn't; it can be done with lots of tongue of flame, like a
campfire without logs.

But aside from redundancy, the design would get crowded with a bird
AND a laurel wreath AND a flame AND three rings.  That forces the bird
to be pretty tiny.  Small enough and all the charges might get ruled
co-primary and the whole thing bounced for "slot machine" (too many
different types of charges in the same group).

> I am already getting sick of the rules. :Þ Half the charges I want
> for my personal device are banned. :(

Please feel free to send us a message (a new one with a different
subject, not just a reply to this one, to avoid confusion) with a
request for help.

The rules are there for various purposes:
- to cause SCA ehraldic practice to approach period practice
- to have a rule set that's easy to learn and apply
- to make the populace happy
Unfortunately, those three forces tug the rules in different ways.  In
my experience, people hitting the rules repeatedly are trying to do
non-period ideas.

> There were Or field-gules charge and vice verse option colored but
> the per pale won by landslide.  I would like to keep it if possible.

I still have my doubts ...

> That would probably be a great idea.  I will pass it on to Wolf and
> see when we can get it in [roadtripping heralds]

Gotta check with Steppes and Elfseaers too.  There's this weird rash
of weddings that's just broken out in the Steppes ...

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at jump.net;
if that fail, my work address is tmcd at us.ibm.com.