ANSTHRLD - Branch device change-how to's?

Amy and Bill Morris awmorris at flash.net
Sat Apr 29 22:23:40 PDT 2000

Hokay,

After consulting 7 different books about medieval concepts about the phoenix
I know less than ever.  For instance some sources  made the phoenix purple,
some rainbow or multicolored, and Herodotus said flame coloured.  For this
reason I would avoid the term proper.  Since Queen Elizabeth used one as a
badge, can anyone on the list find out what colour(s) she used?  I seem to
remember multicolored but the memory is very vague.

Also a problem with the device, flame against a divided or and gules field
gives insufficient contrast.  Or at least Laurel has so held in the past.

To save the per pale idea I would suggest either a purple or gold-coloured
phoenix rising out of red and gold flames.  Against a per pale background
chosen to show the charge.  (for instance against white and green)  Three
laurel wreaths in fess  the chief in either gold or red.   Or the laurel
wreath in bordure counterchanged.

If you want to go with the rainbow colored phoenix I would strongly suggest
a single tincture for the field, in order to keep it easily recognized.

I don't have a ordinary and armorial handy, which versions of the phoenix
have already been used in branch arms?

Mableth