ANSTHRLD - Would someone check a Bahlow reference?

tmcd at jump.net tmcd at jump.net
Sun Apr 9 11:54:41 PDT 2000

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000 Kathri at aol.com wrote:
> I have the following sentence on a submission form:
>
> Bahlow, Dictionary of German Names, p 145 shows Frensell = Frenzel and lists
> Frenezel Rosenstengel dated to 1320.
>
> My question is whether the 1320 reference is for "Frenezel" or
> "Frenczel" -- I believe it has the "e" but I want to make sure.

Here's what Bahlow has, verbatim:

    Frensel = Frenzel.

    Frenzel (UGer.-Sil.) = Franz, see this.  Frenczel Rosenstengel,
    Brsl. 1328.  Cf. Bahlow SN, p. 58.

and back on p. 143 s.n. Franz:

    Franz, Frantz: after St. Francis of Assisi (died 1220), see Bahlow
    VN, p. 34.  Nickns.  Fr{a"}nzel, Frenz(e)l (UGer., also Sil.),
    also Sil. Franzke (with Slav. k-suffix).  LGer. patrs. Frantzen,
    Franssen (L.Rhine).  But Frentz(en), Frenssen (Holstein) means
    Lafrenz = Laurentius [Laurence]!  Fr{a"}nznick means Nikolaus Franz.

Dan. de Linc. (AN.)
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at jump.net;
if that fail, my work address is tmcd at us.ibm.com.