ANSTHRLD - Fwd: RE: Badge conflict check

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Wed Apr 12 17:03:13 PDT 2000

Andre / Ray Smith <rayasmith at yahoo.com> wrote:
> RE: BG - Tuesday Night Heraldic

Oh, dear.  Did that go on anyway, with all the rain?  I assumed it was
going to be called off!

> Don Brian Cameron / Brian_Smith at Dell.com wrote:
> > Fieldless on bend a lion's jambe (aka paw, leg) argent erased. ...

Problem (as is usual when someone isn't completely familiar with
armory; better in such cases to describe it in plain English).  Is it
a jambe on a bend?  If so, the blazon says the jambe and the bend are
the same tincture, so the leg would disappear (and the badge would be
returned).  Is it a jambe bendwise in some way?

> > to the SCA hearldy web site and attempted to search all of their
> > forms for "lion's paw", and the other two names, but I didnt come
> > up with any hits.

The categories start with "LEG AND FOOT-BEAST" in the internal coding.
However, the primary charge here is the bend couped, if there is a
bend at all.  (You can't have a plain bend on a fieldless badge:
there's no edge of the shield to end the ordinary.)  In such a case,
the leg is a tertiary and will at most contribute 1 CD.

A thingy on a bend couped is not any period style badge I've seen.
Does the client want just a lion's jambe in some orientation and
tincture?  That would be fine style, and they could display it on any
tincture they liked.

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)