ANSTHRLD - Branch device change-how to's?

tmcd at jump.net tmcd at jump.net
Sat Apr 29 09:26:08 PDT 2000

By the way, I see no particular reason for anyone to save my previous
message.  Groups take or change names or arms so rarely.  If you just
remember that the Admin Handbook has rules, and remember to look for
the word "support" (case-insensitive, first occurrence) or "petition"
(the same), you'll find the #1 cause for failure: "Draw the populace
poll larger".  Or simply remember to call your regional for advice.
OK, the biggest piece of advice: also remember to conflict-check and
get style notes on the designs BEFORE the group votes on them.

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Timothy A. McDaniel <tmcd at jump.net> wrote:
>         "Submissions involving the name or arms of an active branch
>         must include evidence of support for the action on the part
>         of a majority of the active members of the branch.  In the
>         case of branches with no ruling noble, this support may be
>         demonstrated by a petition of a majority of the populace and
>         officers or by a petition of the seneschal and at least
>         three-quarters of the other local officers.
> Might as well have the seneschal or herald certify that it's indeed
> a majority of the populace.  I can't think of a good way to word it
> right now, because the Admin Handbook leaves "populace" undefined
> and it's lunchtime.

I've chewed my lunch and my words.

It occurs to me that you ought to go both ways (suppress the peanut
gallery).  You can certainly tell when you have the seneschal + 3/4 of
the other officers.  Nevertheless, I'd go for the populace too, for
group solidarity reasons: bring the petition to fighter practice, the
canton meeting, wherever the group meets, to make a good-faith effort
to count and invite everyone.

Then the seneschal or herald can certify that the officer requirement
is met, and also that a majority of the populace supports it too.

"But, Daniel, aren't you being anal retentive?"
- What, like that's new?
- Changing the group arms and name are not done lightly.
- Getting more people involved in this case makes the group work
  better.
- Taking pains now means the rest of the process flows smoothly.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at jump.net;
if that fail, my work address is tmcd at us.ibm.com.