ANSTHRLD - Branch device change-how to's?

Amy and Bill Morris awmorris at flash.net
Sat Apr 29 23:04:50 PDT 2000

Sorry for posting twice to the thread but I forgot to include this side
comment.

> > I am already getting sick of the rules. :Þ Half the charges I want
> > for my personal device are banned. :(

Cyniric,

Do you mean banned as 'offensive to a significant portion of the population'
or banned as in 'the stuff an early anglo-saxon would put on a shield is not
registrable'?   I ask for the following reason.  If what your persona would
put on his or her shield would not be heraldry then you can put it on your
shield, just make sure that it can't be mistaken for heraldry.  In your case
I would start by making the center boss and the rim contrasting with the
brown board (leather or wood).  Add a couple of rivets/bolt heads and/or
reinforcing bars.  Then add the metal beast shapes or geometrics.  If
possible, try to make the rest of your armor similarly period.  Don't paint
the board.  Red or white would be period but might make it look too much
like a coat of arms.

Most people will love you for doing this.  A few will be outraged,
especially if you catch them off guard.  BE CAREFUL TO TELL AS MANY PEOPLE
AS POSSIBLE FIRST.   Consult with heralds experienced in device registration
to avoid something that looks like a shield.  Tell the fighters that you are
recreating a period shield, they'll love it.  Contact your local
authenticity police, bribe them with documentation.  If you do this
correctly you will have most of the College of Arms protecting you against
anyone else who might dispute your right to carry the shield, and virtually
everyone else enthusiastically protecting you against any herald who might
object to your shield.

You will still get the occasional objection, but a little tact, and good
documentation will easily carry you through.

There are a few symbols used in Anglo-Saxon art that are banned because of
later connections with the Nazis.  To my knowledge none of them were used on
shields.

Most of the people who do the 'non-heraldic' shield bit eventually end up
with a coat of arms, but only for use on banners, etc.

I have a good reference on the Anglo-Saxon warrior, recently printed in
England.  If you would like me to xerox the pages on shields please email me
at awmorris at flash.net with your mailing address.

Mableth