ANSTHRLD - Guardian(s) of the Queens Hope

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Fri Aug 11 08:29:19 PDT 2000

Jodi McMaster <jodimc at texas.net> wrote:
> "Timothy A. McDaniel" wrote:
> > There's a perfectly period term for someone with a sword who
> > is prominent at courts and is willing to use that sword to
> > defend a royal personally.
> >
> > "Champion".
> >
> > To call the youth champions anything else is saying that they
> > are different in essence from the adult one.
>
> I guess this is where I may be misunderstanding the intended
> award or having trouble coming up with the appropriate criteria
> for selecting the name.
>
> The original explanation given, which insofar as I am aware has
> not changed, was *not* that these were younger members of the
> populace chosen for their prowess to defend the person of the
> Queen. ... by demonstrating the ideals the Queen felt boded
> well for the future ...

The royal champion of England was bestowed as a favour, and then
was inherited.  To fix the system, then, allow the Queen to
choose her Champion in all cases, based on her ideals.  "Don
Pokefast won the Queen's Champion tourney, but Lord Glorious was
so consistently courteous, both here and in the past ...".

Daniel "'the best thing about the Order of the Bath is that
there's no damned merit in it' -- Duke of Wellington" de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)