ANSTHRLD - 0008, please, not 0800

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Wed Aug 30 09:02:30 PDT 2000

I have a request for kingdom heralds in particular, but it may be
of use to people in general.

Please name files and items using YYYYMM or YYMM instead of MMYY.
For example, for this month please use 200008 or 0008 instead of
0800.

The reason is that computers usually by default show files in
sorted order.

In particular, under UNIX and Windows, "*" lists the files in
sorted order.  So if you do a grep/find on a set of MMYY files,
you'll get all the Januaries, then all the Februaries, ..., then
all the Decembers, because (for example) 0801 sorts between 0800
and 0900 -- an August 2001 file would be between an August 2000
and a September 2000 file.  I find it inconvenient when searching
for precedents: I want to see either the newest or the oldest
first (I can adjust either way).  In fact, I generally want to
deal with years: move previous years to a side directory where it
doesn't get in the way of the working files, for example.

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)