ANSTHRLD - Guardian(s) of the Queens Hope

Jodi McMaster jodimc at texas.net
Thu Aug 10 15:43:03 PDT 2000

Ansteorran Kingdom Star Principal Herald wrote:

> I spoke with HrM Allyson last night and she wishes to
> register a name and badge for the 'Guardian of the
> Queen's Hope'.
>
> I have told her that this name is not period. She told
> me to find another that is period and would fit the
> same purpose. I personally cannot think of any sort of
> name.

Well, yeah, if the award needs to reflect what it is.  But most Kingdom
awards don't; e.g., an Iris or a Thistle doesn't necessarily say
anything about Arts and Sciences.  Usage will give it identification.

Now if you were going to model it after something like the Order of the
Garter (I don't know of any similar rapier orders), what about "Order of
the Chape"?  Chapes are a period term for points, the ends on the end of
laces used in late period garb.  It also is found in a 1547 description
of an item in the inventory of Henry VIII:
 Item iii rapiers of sondrie sortes the pomells hiltes and chapes
   of Dego his marking with skabardes of vellvet.

In "A Brief History of the Rapier" by Terence the Arcane,
http://home.xnet.com/~shrike/rapier/histrap.html
I believe the author is saying that chape is also the term for part of
the looping metal around the hilt of the rapier.  Nice rapier pun, fits
the naming practice for an order (a clothing fastener), and could lead
to cool danglies. HMSO's _Dress Accessories: Medieval Finds from
Excavations in London_ describes braided silk with brass chapes--like
the latest CA described.

>From a quick check, it looks clear.

AElfwyn

--