ANSTHRLD - Guardian(s) of the Queens Hope

Jodi McMaster jodimc at texas.net
Fri Aug 11 00:06:48 PDT 2000

"Timothy A. McDaniel" wrote:

> Jodi McMaster <jodimc at texas.net> wrote:
> > I guess the question is "what do we want it to fit"?  With my
> > herald hat on, I'm not aware of period practices that fit the
> > Champion motif we customarily use.  Oh, Daniel?
>
> There's a perfectly period term for someone with a sword who is
> prominent at courts and is willing to use that sword to defend a
> royal personally.
>
> "Champion".
>
> To call the youth champions anything else is saying that they are
> different in essence from the adult one.

I guess this is where I may be misunderstanding the intended award or
having trouble coming up with the appropriate criteria for selecting the
name.

The original explanation given, which insofar as I am aware has not
changed, was *not* that these were younger members of the populace
chosen for their prowess to defend the person of the Queen.  In fact, it
was stressed to us at the first one (I don't remember it as much at this
last one, but I was swallowing dust as I started to herald the dadgum
thing) that it was most definitely not awarded based on winning the
tournament, but by demonstrating the ideals the Queen felt boded well
for the future (hence the name--Guardian of the Queen's hope, not
herself).  This was borne out very close to home--both my kids were in
the younger division in the first one (imagine my thrill anticipating
the ride home)--my son won by points, but my daughter was named GoQH.

So is this more like a champion or an order? [Sesame Street's "one of
these things is not like the others" just went through my head.]

And, Daniel, I agree whole-heartedly with your general evaluation of
awards for minors.

AElfwyn
--
Jodi McMaster/