ANSTHRLD - A Cat in it's Curiousity

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Sun Aug 13 21:19:48 PDT 2000

There is exactly one SCA registeration of "a cat in its
curiosity" (N.B.: no apostrophe and no "u"; my first on-line
search failed), and it was registered 8/78.  With only one old
registration, and "a cat in its curiosity" being an SCA
invention, I really doubt that it would still be registerable.
I haven't checked precedents to see if it's already been
forbidden.

It's possible to maybe slip it in as a Ting McPhee.  I should
explain.  In 1983, someone submitted
    Ting-nye-'dzin-gyi-seng-ge McPhee
Yes, it's a Chinese-Irish name.  Laurel bounced it and made a
rule saying that names could not be mixed like that.  The
submitter appealed all the way to the Board, and the Board ruled
that it must be registered because it was legal at the time of
its submission, and Laurel was not allowed to bounce a submission
that provokes a rule change.

On Duke Cariadoc's third hand, Laurel often bounces individual
charges and forbids future registrations at the same time, and
I don't know why such cases aren't counted as a Ting McPhee.

Further, given that the registration is
    Rhithyn yr Gwlad yr Hav|7808|D|Azure, a plate charged with a cauldron
    and a domestic cat in its curiosity sable.
the proposed
    Azure, a caldrun and a cat in its curiosity argent.
while certainly clear by X.1, X.2, and X.4, is rather too
reminiscent of the registration for my comfort.  I don't want to
go so far as to call it "in bad taste", but ...

Also, domestic cats are not period in armory.

Since the posture is not merely non-period but an SCA invention,
and the posture is likely to die horribly at Laurel, and it's
visually close to the previous registration, and domestic cats
are non-period, I'd compliment the submitter on the simplicity of
their design but advise them to start over with a period design.

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)