ANSTHRLD - "Simple" Armory

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Mon Dec 18 12:13:20 PST 2000

Griffin>> "Or, a lion passant regardant, all within a bordure sable."
Johann> "Or, a lion passant regardant and a bordure sable"?

The two blazons are equivalent with each other and with
    Or, a lion passant regardant within a bordure sable.
    Or, a lion passant regardant, a bordure sable.

> No prob.  Sorry to trouble you.  For some reason, I was picturing an
> extremely thin lion that was physically within the bounds of the
> bordure instead of being in the middle of the field where it
> belonged.  Silly me.  ;-)

Since one charge (the lion) was not given a tincture immediately
following it, it takes the next tincture mentioned, which is sable.
That would be a black lion on a black bordure, which is up there with
the proverbial polar bear in a blizzard in terms of visibility.

Unless stated otherwise, charges mentioned in a blazon are directly on
the field.  The way you get "stated otherwise" is with the words "on",
"overall", or "charged with".  (In a few cases, by position too: "a
chief azure semy-de-lys Or".)  The only way this lion could crawl onto
this bordure would be via

    Or, on a bordure sable, a lion passant regardant [tincture].
    Or, a bordure sable charged with a lion passant regardant
        [tincture].

But in any such case, the charge on the field is mentioned first.
(The "[tincture]" is because of the sable-on-sable problem that would
otherwise arise as aforesaid.)  The SCA uses "on" instead of "charged
with" unless the blazon would get awkward.

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)