ANSTHRLD - "Simple" Armory

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Mon Dec 18 12:30:20 PST 2000

Griffin wrote:
<< By my reading of the Rules for Submission and our Kingdom
Administrative Handbook, the following piece of armory could be
considered "simple" and fast tracked.  Am I correct? >>

There are two definitions of "simple" in the RfS.  One is under X.2,
for substantial change of type of primary charge, and one is under
X.4.j.ii, for substantial change of type of charges on top of other
charges.  I discourage the unmodified use of "simple", much preferring
"X.2-simple" or "X.4.j.ii-simple" (unless the context makes it clear
which one you're talking about, and even then I think it better to be
explicit).

> "Or, a lion passant regardant, all within a bordure sable."

(I should have noted in the previous note that while this is a legal
blazon, "all within" is usually used for two or more charges being
enclosed.  The usual SCA blazons would be
    regardant, within a bordure
or  regardant, a bordure
)

Since there are no charges on charges here, X.4.j.ii does not apply.

It is X.2-simple by X.2.c,
    Armory that has only a primary group of identical charges,
    accompanied only by a secondary group of identical charges
Since each group has exactly one charge
    primary group: a lion
    secondary group: a bordure
all the primary group charges are trivially the same type, and
similarly all the secondary group charges are trivially the same type
-- ergo, X.2.c.

The Ansteorran CoH Admin Handbook (by the way, it's nice to cite the
reference to the section, if not actually quote it) has "Policy for
Submissions" (not numbered for easy reference, grrrr), which starts

    This policy is a guideline for handling submissions of names and
    armory.  In practice, it is subject to modification due to
    circumstances.

and later, under _Acceptances_,

    Standards for armory that can be accepted for fasttracking are:
    *  Resubmitted armory that corrects problems in drawing or
       presentation of colors, but changes nothing else from the
       original submission
    *  Field-only armory by definition of Rules for Submission Section
       X.4.a.ii
    *  Simple armory by definition of Rules for Submission Section
       X.2, Section X.4.j.ii, or such other definitions as may be
       added to the RfS.
    *  Complete submission, including required copies of forms.
    *  Armory is free from conflict and complies with all Rules for
       Submission.

So it *could* be fast-tracked.  I would not advise it, however;
I would suggest the regular in-kingdom conflict-checking.

(I now remember that I haven't typed up the Bryn Gwlad armory
commentary notes ...)

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)