ANSTHRLD - A couple of questions (and replies) regarding the latest Gazette

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at bmc.com
Tue Dec 19 07:57:53 PST 2000

>> ? Davis McReynald [was 11) Kathleen Davis McReynald]
>>
>> Her use of Davis was as a maiden name...not a double surname.
>
>A maiden name *is* a surname, and "Davis" wasn't a given name in
>period, so it *is* a double surname.
>
>They generally didn't do maiden names in the British Isles in period,
>I believe.  Mari could say more.

In 16th C Gloucestershire, the norm was for the wife to take the husband's
name.  However, she did not retain her married name when doing so.  So it
was a change-out of her last name instead of adding a last name.

In Scotland & Ireland, I believe that the woman did not take her husband's
surname upon marriage.

>> Again, if the College believes it too wierd, drop Davis.
>
>Thanks.  It would be far more plausible to drop Davis in terms of
>period authenticity, but I think it would probably be registerable
>with Davis.

That was my guess as well.  It's one of those borderline cases...

>Do you know how interested the submitter is in
>authenticity -- that is, if "Kathleen McReynald" is authentic and
>registerable and "Kathleen Davis McReynald" is not authentic but also
>still registerable, which she would prefer?

I was the consulting herald on this one (at July Coronation).  The
submitter wants "Kathleen Davis McReynald" if it at all registerable.  If
an element must be dropped to register the name, then she wants "Davis"
dropped.

Mari