ANSTHRLD - Heraldry Table

Ron Knight rknight at kumc.edu
Fri Dec 29 06:03:31 PST 2000

Greetings from Modar!

Kathri, you wrote:

>> However, in hopes that it will help, I'm sending an electronic copy
>> of our handout to William.  If anyone else would like to have one,
>> just let me know.

Could you please send me one?
I'm always on the lookout for areas I might have missed in my article.

I have offered to teach a class on running a consulting table at the
next (upcomng) Known World Heraldic Symposium.

Just in case you or anyone else might be interested in it, the outline
for the class follows:

Running A Consulting Table: Before, During & After
Class Outline by Baron Modar Neznanich

I.    Philosophy
     A. Purpose (consulting table means different things to different people)
     B. Service vs Full Service
          1. Skill/Equipment
          2. Time

II.  Before An Event
     A. Get Permission
     B. Request from autocrat
         1. Space
         2. Tables & Chairs
         3. Location

III. Mechanics
     A. Physical Set-up  <Distribute Handout A>
     B. Items to have on hand
         1. Minimum
             a. You
             b. Client
             c. Writing utensil
             d. Writing material
        2. Recommended  <Distribute Handout B>
            a. Heraldry books
            b. Forms
            c. SCA publications
                1) RfS
                2) Admin. Handbook
                3) SCA Armorial & Ordinary (?)
                4) Pic-Dic
            d. Other Items
                 1) File folders
                 2) Blank paper
                 3) Scratch/doodle sheets
                 4) Writing untensils (pens, pencils, colored markers)
                 5) Basic drawing tools (compass, ruler, triangle, circle template)
       3. Optional
            a. Other Heraldry books  <Refer to Handout B>
            b. Personal Heraldic Notebook
            c. Idea Book
            d. Photo Book
            e. Other Items
                1) Templates
                2) Storage Boxes
    C. Health Related Aspects
        1. Drink
        2. Food
        3. Breaks
   D. Organization
        1. Write things down as you go.
        2. Filing

IV. Consulting
     A. Customer Service
          1. How do you serve clients?
              a. Care
              b. Know Procedures
                  1) Number of Forms
                  2) Costs
                  3) Where to send forms
                  4) Etc.
             c. Be honest but tactful
     B. Device Consulting
          1. Drawing info out of a client
               (Working up a device does no good if the client really doesn't like it.)
              a. Forms
              b. Discussion
              c. Listen
          2. Offering Alternatives
              a. Use of Pic-Dic
              b. Use of Heraldry books
              c. Use of Idea Book
              d. Use of Photo Book
     C. DEMO
         1. Client with some ideas
         2. Client with no ideas
         3. Client that wants what not allowed
     D. Name Consulting - This is similar to device consulting, except that
         many times you have a client who has decided upon a name and
         been using it for a long time before seeing if it is registerable.
          1. If no name
          2. If have name and it is fine
          3. If have name, but there are problems
             a. Offering Alternatives
             b. Stunt documentation
             c. Register one, use other
      E. Misc. Consulting Issues
          1. You will get questions on all kinds of heraldry related subjects
               a. Protocol
               b. Heraldic Garb
               c. Persona Development
          2. Where to look for answers
               a. Publications (books, Rfs, etc.)
               b. Superior Officers
               c. Heraldic Friends (including SCAHRLDS list)
               d. Websites
                e. Personal Heraldic Notebook
                    Create a notebook to keep information in. When you have
                     to look up an answer, add it to the notebook, so you have
                     it on hand and don't have to look it up again.  Clients don't
                    care whether you have all the answers memorized or not.
                    They just want to know that you have the RIGHT answer.

V.  Heraldry Promotion
      A. What is the purpose of having heraldry?  (*Display*)
      B. What is heraldic display?
      C. What are some ideas for heraldic display?  <Distribute Handout C>

VI. Other Aspects
      A. Relax/Enjoy
      B. At the end of the day
          1. Organized Packing of stuff and submissions
          2. Say thanks (to those who helped and autocrat)  <Distribute Handout D>

Modar
Modar's Heraldry Page
http://www2.kumc.edu/itc/staff/rknight/heraldry.htm