ANSTHRLD - first draft of new web page layout....

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Fri Feb 18 17:20:58 PST 2000

It's a fairly clean design, clean HTML, and fairly pretty.  The small
file size is great -- fast to load.  (Please, no GIFs / JPGs unless
needed for a picture; no fancy backgrounds; just plain text.)

I've just started into the HTML newsgroup and I just asked about HTML
design URLs.  I intend to come back with them in a few days.

Tables are a question.  Some browsers don't like them as well as
others.  *I* don't like tables.  If the window is narrow, this table
setup looks pretty ugly.  On the other hand, each line here tends to
be short, so if it's *not* in a table and it's a *wide* window, it may
not look good.  In such cases, sometimes I list them as alternatives,
like
    Help | Main Page | Copyright | Author
and sometimes I just list them, like
    A, B, C, D, ...

A common look-and-feel would be nice, but I'm still playing with my
web pages, so I have no great recommendations now.

http://www.useit.com/ has a lot of useful advice, especially the
Alertbox ("archive of Jakob's bi-weekly column").  He uses boldface
very nicely to show the most-requested articles and the most-important
points therein.

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.