ANSTHRLD - Non-Contact Heraldry

Roy Heath the_one_true_roy at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 12:27:44 PST 2000

Actually folks, the purpose of the authorization card with non-contact participation is to
ensure that there is a signed waiver of liability on file with the marshallate office for the
participant.  It has nothing to do with the safety of the individual and everything to do with
the legal environment of our century.

As a point of fact, it was very much an afterthought.  First fighters who were authorized to
ensure that everyone knew what the SCA rules were for fighting.  Then later came the
non-contact checkbox for non-fighters (marshals, etc.) who might need to be on the field when
fighting was actually occurring.  Now we have reached the state of affairs, apparently, where
a card is required for people to be on the field when fighting is not taking place.  I
understand the inherent risk of being in the general vicinity of fighting activities, i.e. on
the next field, but I still find it a little ludicrous.

In summation, since the point of having a non-contact authorization as a minimum is to ensure
that a signed waiver is on file, any fighting authorization should be acceptable.  There
certainly are safety risks involved in being anywhere near the fighting activities of the SCA,
but that's another discussion.

Erc
authorized fighter type, marshal, and trained stunt herald