ANSTHRLD - Charge Question

Amy and Bill Morris awmorris at flash.net
Mon Jan 31 06:45:54 PST 2000

Various thoughts:

I remember an archaeologist who did a lot of original research on Stonehenge
getting a fess couped supported by two billets.  That was out of period, and
probably not compatible with period practice, but we might be able to devise
something compatible.  By the way, does anyone remember where that coat is?
Is it in one of Fox-Davies more popular volumes?

Laying aside Stonehenge, some of the other examples are unshaped, that is
big rock supported by 2 (or more) other big rocks.  Completely
unidentifiable as a charge.  A billet argent might very well be a shaped
upright.  Perhaps with Ogham added as artistic interpretation?

Is the word 'sarcen' period?  I don't have ready reference to an OED.  From
my pathetic little house dictionary I get 'cromlech' and 'menhir' probably
period, and 'dolmen' maybe.

Mableth