ANSTHRLD - Report: Submission table at Coronation

tmcd at jump.net tmcd at jump.net
Thu Jan 20 10:15:27 PST 2000

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Rayburn, Timothy <TRayburn at insurdata.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, January 20, 2000 11:42 AM, tmcd at jump.net
> [SMTP:tmcd at jump.net] wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Rayburn, Timothy <TRayburn at insurdata.com>
> > wrote:
> > > My understanding is that with augmentation his arms will now
> > > blazon :
> > >
> > > Gules, a bend wavy between two double bitted axes or and in
> > > canton a mullet of five greater and five lesser points sable.
> >
> > Is that mullet entirely on the bend, or overall?
>
> When I spoke with Galen he was of the opinion it was entirely upon
> the bend, hence a BlackStar on a golden 'field' (the bend).

Ah, makes sense, given the kingdom arms.  A quick browse thru the O&A
shows that the exact wording varies majorly, but I think this is an
SCA-acceptable blazon:

    Gules, a bend wavy between two double bitted axes or, as an
    augmentation on the bend in chief a mullet of five greater and
    five lesser points sable.

Despite the fact that the SCA generally avoids "charged with", that
apparently can be used as well.  I think such a blazon would be about
as elegant as the one above (that is, not particularly in either
case).

(Examples:
    Alan Fairfax|9907M|a|Bendy sinister Or and gules, a canton sable,
        for augmentation the canton charged with an annulet Or.
    Howard, Duke of Norfolk, Earl Marshal of England|9412L|a|Gules, a
        bend between six crosses crosslet fitchy argent, for
        augmentation, on the bend in chief an escutcheon Or charged
        with a demi-lion its mouth pierced by an arrow within a double
        tressure flory counter-flory gules.
)

Daniel de Lincolia
--