ANSTHRLD - CoH web page: what should be on it?

tmcd at jump.net tmcd at jump.net
Thu Jan 27 19:48:53 PST 2000

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Kathleen O'Brien <kobrien at bmc.com> wrote:
> to look someone up via the OP database [armorial, I hope] and get
> the _image_ of their registered device.  Can you say "make presents
> for your friends with their device on it???"  Can you say "see what
> the kingdom registered devices and badges look like???"

Can you say "copyright violation for old forms"???

Seriously, I have heard it is unclear who owns the copyright on the
artwork on submission forms.  That's actually the main reason Laurel
required more-or-less standardized forms SCA-wide.  (Annoyance at
inconsistency and bad design was another reason, but that had been a
problem for years without Laurel doing anything.)  Now the device
forms have

    I understand that with my submission I automatically give
    permission for the Society for Creative Anachronism to use my
    artwork and armory for any and all internal heraldic and scribal
    purposes.

I think Laurel had a lawyer look at legal issues, and that this
boilerplate was CYA but that SCA usage of pre-unification forms was
*probably* OK.  However, before pre-unification images are put on the
web page, please check with Laurel to find out the exact details.

If it's on the new forms, which should be anything received by
Asterisk after 15 October 1998, it's OK.  Also, I presume we can get
older kingdom stuff on the web page, and any stuff with explicit
permission.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at jump.net;