ANSTHRLD - Sleeping Bear

Doug Bell debell at txcyber.com
Tue Jul 11 20:04:54 PDT 2000

Since it appears bear or ursa are period let us look at
sleeping and dormant.

I seem to be running into a lot of snails tonight.

NOVEMBER 1988 LOAR KINGDOM OF THE MIDDLE RETURNS
Cecilia of Sternfeld. Badge for House Dormant. Gyronny sable and
vert, a snail argent. After a comparison of the emblazons, we were
compelled to agree that this conflicts visually with the device of
Peridot of the Quaking Hand ("Azure, a snail guardant argent").
It should be noted, however, that Crescent errs when he says that
snails have no faces: after examination of a number of Society
badges and devices featuring snails, we have been forced to the
conclusion that in Society heraldry they do. (Thus illustration
597 in A Pictorial Dictionary of Heraldry as used in the Society
for Creative Anachronism is not correct: although it gives an
excellent depiction of a "natural" snail, it does not match
the "SCA heraldic" snail.) Note that many commentors felt
that the use of the French adjective alone for a household
name did not follow period style and that the adjective
should modify some noun other than house
(House of the Sleeping Snail?).

Angharad of the Sleeping Lion
This name was registered in August of 1982 (via the East).
Names were not very well researched back then.

Sleeping Jade Griffin
This household name was registered to Kathren of Sandesward
in September of 1986 (via Atenveldt).
The only commentary is on the badge, then again this is
14 years old.

Sleeping Tyger Pursuivant
This heraldic title was registered to East, Kingdom of the
in April of 1981 (via Laurel).
Named after an heraldic charge and almost 20 years old
- no help here.

Ile du Dragon Dormant, Shire de l'
This branch-name was registered in January of 1985 (via the East).
This is in French not Latin and is 15 years old.

I checked the 30 years of precedents for other sleeping names
but this is it.

Ursa has never been registered as a household name.

The easiest route may be to register Sleeping Bear and translate
it for use.  Bear presents no problem.  The OED will determine
if sleeping is a descriptor in period use.  Since a bear dormant
is an heraldic charge I would argue, along with several others,
Sleeping Bear can be drawn as an inn sign.  Thus, Household of
the Sleeping Bear should be allowed.

I won't be able to get back to the OED for a few days.

Magnus