ANSTHRLD - Germanic name sources

Richard Culver rbculver at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 14 11:11:49 PDT 2000

>I am trying to find out if the name Waldorf is period for the 1300's and
>have run into a brick wall. Does anyone have The Old Germanic Principles
>Of Name-Giving by
>Woolf, Henry. And if so could you let me know if Waldorf is in there.
>
>Dietrich Von Waldorf (maybe?)

  My understanding is if it is a feasible construction, even if not
specifically documented as a town or name, it should pass regardless.  I am
sure that spelling or a slight variant would work assuming it is indeed a
place name.
   As a suggestion though I would see if people used second or middle names
in your period. If so I would personally suggest an additional name to
Dietrich.  I can already recall seeing at least two Dietrich von X's
someplace.  I could be wrong though.  The later period is not my interest.

Cyniric