ANSTHRLD - Kristophorus

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at bmc.com
Fri Jul 14 16:31:08 PDT 2000

At 05:54 PM 7/14/00 -0500, you wrote:
>My intended line of attack on this name was to use the hagiographies
>I have and see if Kristophorus of [pick an Irish monastery]
>might work.

Note that there is no "K" in Gaelic.

I've just done a quick scan of the Annals that I have been working on (name
article in development).  When the religious person mentioned is in
connection with an Irish monastery, the person just about uniformly has a
Gaelic name.

Now, having said that, there are some non-Gaelic names that show up in the
Annals.  Most are in reference to various popes and kings of various
countries.  But a few are religious men.

Here's one.  From the Annals of Tigernach:
Donnchadh {O/} Corr{a/}in, ed., "Annals of Tigernach" (URL:
http://www.ucc.ie/celt/online/G100002.html

T691.2   Teodorus episcopus Britaniae

This is a Latin entry in this set of Annals.  Basically it means "Theodore,
bishop of Britain".

If his persona was in a monastery in the now-England area when he got his
religious name, my bet is that a Latin form like <Christoforus> (I'd need
to look up the exact spelling) would be reasonable.  Especially if we can
find entries in the Domesday Book or Tengvik.

Then if he returned to Ireland, maybe he kept the name?  I really need to
do some more research on this one.  This one's going to take some footwork
on both our parts...

>He wanted just the first name so that would meet the
>SCA requirements.  As for the Gaelic name he is looking at the last
>name is out of MacLysaght, The Surnames of Ireland and is not dated
>(so what is new about that). MacGurk or a form of it may be dated
>by looking up the sept.

I'd just look it up in Woulfe.

Hmm... just a second...

Tigernach has:

T701.5	 Colman aue Oirc, ab Cluana h-Iraird
[I don't know what <aue> is and my Old Irish grammar is at home.]
T722.7  Anmchadh mac Oircc, ri Guill

and

T763.4  Anfadain ab Linde Duachaill

Well done!  <Anfadain mac Oircc> looks like a fantastic 8th C. name.  Now
to document the religious name...

>Both of these choices need further research.  He wants it in
>by Coronation but it may take longer than that to research.
>I would like to give him both names to choose from.

Well, he could submit <Anfadain mac Oircc> at Coronation and some form of
Christoforus as an alternate name at a later date.  But I don't know if he
wants to go to the expense of registering two names.

Regarding constructing the monastary name, I can pull a bunch from
Tigernach.

Here's one example which includes the word "monastery":

T764.3   Cormac mac Ailello, ab Ma{i/}n{i/}streach Buite
[Note that <ab> means 'abbot'.]

If someone was simply from a monastery, they usually has the name of the
monastery as an unmarked locative:
T577.3   Brenaind Cluana Ferta
T753.10  Scandlaige Cluana Boirend
T765.9   Cellbil Cluana Bronaigh
T723.2   Faelcon Mainistreach Buitte

And here's a cool one (note that he's a scribe at Clonmacnoise):
T730.3   Filius Con Cumbu, scriba Cluana Maic N{o/}is
[This entry does not list his given name.]

Okay.  My brain is tired now...

Mari