ANSTHRLD - Gaelic Name

Doug Bell debell at txcyber.com
Sun Jul 16 22:27:26 PDT 2000

This is what I found on the name.  There is another poem
from the 1400s that is supposed to mention the last name.
It may take some searching for me to find it.

Magnus

Séamus

OCorrain & Maguire page 163 under Séamus states the name
is common among Anglo-Norman settlers.

Morgan, Scottish Gaelic Names for Children, under Seumas
gives it as brought to Scotland by 12th century pilgrams.

Black, Surnames of Scotland, page 719 under Seumas gives
it as the Gaelic spelliong of James.

Withycombe, page 171 under James gives it as Seumas in Gaelic.

Woulfe, Irish Names and Surnames, page 404 under Mac Séamuis -
son of James.

December 1999 LoAR - ATENVELDT acceptances
Seamus McDaid. Name.
The submitter should be informed that Seamus is a Gaelic
spelling and McDaid is a Scots spelling, and the two forms
of spelling were generally not combined in a single name.

mac Innerighe

The closest spelling is:
October 1994 LoAR - MERIDIES Acceptances
Ian MacIneirie of Inverary. Name.
Submitted as Ian MacInneirghe of Inverary, the patronymic
was Gaelic while the remainder of the name was Englished.
As no examples have yet been adduced for combining fully
Gaelic forms with Englished forms, we have made the smallest
change possible and Englished the patronymic.

MacLysaght, The Surnames of Ireland, page 99 under Eniry
Mac Innéirghe denotes easily roused early, one of the
Uí Cairbre group.  modernized MacHenry.

Woulfe, Irish Names and Surnames, page 384 under Mac Inneirghe
son of Inneirghe (the rising, early riser); the name of an ancient
family in county Limerick who for many centuries were chiefs of
Corca Muicheat, now Corcomohide, an extensive district to the
south of the county.  The chief resided at Castletown MacEniry,
where the ruins of his castle are still to be seen.  Though
greatly encroached upon by the Anglo-Norman settlers, the
MacEnirys contrived to retain a considerable portion of their
ancient patrimony down to the revolution of 1688.