ANSTHRLD - Coravinda

Doug Bell debell at txcyber.com
Mon Jul 17 20:18:12 PDT 2000

Coravinda isn't in either of Tangwystyl's articles on Pictish or early
Briton names.  I don't see it in any of my Gaelic books either.
It isn't in the SCA registered names database.  Altavista didn't
even turn up such an item in a search.  Please include a specific
web page reference as our telepathic abilities are limited.

Reading Tangwystyl's article makes me think there is no wierdness
combining Pictish and Gaelic because of the strong Gaelic influence on
names.

The precursor to MacKenzie is mac Coinnigh from MacLysaght, The
Surnames of Ireland. Irish Academic Press: Dublin, 1980 page 184
under Kinney and Black, The Surnames of Scotland. The New York
Public Library: New York, 1946, page 525 under MacKenzie.
Black further gives the early Irish as Cainnigh.  O Corrain & Maguire,
Irish Names. The Lilliput Press: Dublin, 1990 page 43 under Cainnech
date the name from 929 and gives 4 saints of that name. Book of Saints
by Benedictine monks of St. Augustine Abbey, Ramsgate, 6th ed., A. & C.
Black Ltd. London, 1989, page 109 under Canice lists Cainnech lived
525-599.

The earliest form I could find was ingen Chainnigh or possibly ingen
Chainnech.
It looks like the name has been in use for our entire period especially
around Kilkenny.

Magnus