ANSTHRLD - Germanic name sources

Darin K. Herndon darin-herndon at utulsa.edu
Mon Jul 17 20:12:49 PDT 2000

>  About my device,  is there a problem with: Fieldless, a Nordic
>sunwheel gules.  The sunwheel is in the pic-dic though I do not know
>if it has been rebanned (it was oncee then allowed again) with its
>rising and visible use among White Aryan Resistance. (Gods I hate
>those idiots).

Can you have a fieldless device?  I know badges are frequently but devices...?

One sunwheel was registered a little more than a year ago for my
baron.  That badge was originally submitted as "(Fieldless) On a
roundel quarterly gules and azure, a sunwheel throughout Or."  The
blazon was changed in process due to a roundel being a possible form
of fielded armory and came out as a fielded badge.  Also, due to the
throughout nature of that badge, it was reblazoned and the final form
came out to: "Quarterly gules and azure, a cross throughout and a
bordure Or."

[Please note that all blazons listed above were from memory and it is
possible that I swapped the quarterly colors or missed some small
element not significant to this discussion.]

So, I would say it is accepted and registerable (barring conflict).
I wonder if you could register it fieldless though.  Consider, if
someone registered "(Fieldless) a latin cross vert", the impact that
would have on restricting the number of devices with primary charges
of crosses.  The sheer impact of such might prevent its registration
and that might apply here.  This is part of the reason for the
removal of Tinctureless (except for herald's seals) and single
tinctured field only armory (like a device of Azure.).

Etienne