ANSTHRLD - Device Advice

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Mon Jul 17 22:09:36 PDT 2000

"Per bend sinister flory counter-flory" was registered in 1996
(Madeleine Moinet dit Boismenu|9607A), and a line of division
f-c-f has been registered a couple of times before, and the 7/96
device was registered without comment, I presume it's
registerable.

    Per chevron flory counter-flory vert and argent, a torc and
    a rose within a bordure counterchanged.

As a medieval style note, purely advisory: I have the impression
that torcs didn't exist as objects by the time of the invention
of armory -- well, torcs existed (because museums have a few) but
I thought they were out of style: not being made and perhaps not
being worn.  If I'm remembering that right, it would be pretty
much impossible to see a torc on medieval armory.  Mind you, it's
registerable (Period Artifacts, which I'd bet is in RfS VII).

As another style suggestion, if I may: vert was quite rare in
medieval armory, and when used it was either for things that were
naturally green (trees, for instance) or tended to be used with
designs that were fairly common otherwise.

Another thought: there's not much room for an object above the
top of a "per chevron" division.  (In early period, per chevrons
and chevrons were drawn steeper, making it much harder.)  The
usual period arrangement would be "two and one", meaning two
objects on the top half of the field and one on the bottom half.

While it's SCA-registerable (assuming no conflict), a combination
of a vert section, f-c-f field division, a torc, and two items in
pale makes this far from period style.  If the client is amenable
to suggestion ("look into my eyes ... give the heralds all your
money ...") and wants medieval-style armory, they might consider
some redesign.

I assume and hope that the rose is a heraldic rose with five
petals (other numbers are known in period, but five was pretty
usual), and not depicted as the modern garden rose with lots and
lots of petals in a clump.

Daniel "probably I hope too much" de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)