ANSTHRLD - quick questions

Ron Knight rknight at kumc.edu
Tue Jul 18 09:55:56 PDT 2000

Greetings from Modar!

You asked:

>> The hedgehog is drawn with an apple & a pear stuck in its spines.
>> Is that standard for a hedgehog?

No.  There are two "standard" depictions of a hedgehog, that I've seen.
One without any fruit.  One with grapes (small round balls)
stuck on the quills.

I only note one example in the O&A with a "fruited" hedgehog. It
belongs to Mergriet van Edelare (registered July 1996 via Ansteorra):
Gules, a hedgehog statant argent its quills impaling grapes purpure.

>> And since the fruit isn't mentioned it's the same color as
>> the hedgehog?

Yes, technically.  Although an artist might use "artistic license"
to color the fruit any tincture as it is too small to be "of significant
importance", similar to coloring eyes, tongues, claws a different
tincture than the rest of a critter.

>> An orle should follow the outline of the shape of the device, ie.
>> square, rectangular, shield shape?

Yes.

>> A rose proper: that's red petals, green leaves, and.....

Red petals, green leaves and yellow center (seeds).

Hope this helps.

Modar