ANSTHRLD - Device Advice

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Tue Jul 18 10:07:04 PDT 2000

Magnus / Doug Bell <debell at txcyber.com> wrote:
> From the LoARs since 1996 it appears that flory-counterflory is
> still registered as long as you stay away from Or and azure.
> January 1999 LoAR
> Returns - CALONTIR
> Ysabeau Lambert. Device. Or, an angel statant affronty azure
> maintaining a sword inverted proper and a chief flory
> counter-flory azure.
> July 1999 LoAR
> Acceptances - ATLANTIA
> Arawina of Ravenhall. Badge. Purpure, a fess flory
> counter-flory Or.

Note that these are *charges* f-c-f, not a field division.  While
in most cases anything you can do to a charge you can do to a
field division, I suspect that a bit of searching would find
some counterexamples.  Actually, "fracted" comes to mind ...

> May 1998 LoAR
> Returns - MIDDLE
> Cecily de Kenton. Device. Per bend sinister crusily flory
> counter-crusily flory azure and Or.
>
> This device has two problems, either of which, in and of
> itself, is grounds for return.  First, this is an invented
> field division, based on the model of flory-counterflory.
> Unfortunately we have been able to find but a single example of
> flory-counterflory being used in period armory.  A line of
> division based on an exemplar that was used but a single time
> in period armory, is too far from period practice to be
> registered in the SCA.

This looks ambiguously bad for the instant case.  Is Laurel
saying that f-c-f itself is too far from period practice, or
saying that inventing a field division that's based on the one
example of f-c-f is too much?

> Isabella Lucrezia Veneziano Martini January of 1997 (via An Tir):
> Per bend sinister flory counterflory sable and argent,
> two fleurs-de-lys counterchanged.

I think I cited this.  I wish it had been later than Cecily de
Kenton.

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)