ANSTHRLD - quick questions

Deborah Sweet/soc/cas/Okstate dssweet at okstate.edu
Tue Jul 18 12:15:29 PDT 2000

>>> The hedgehog is drawn with an apple & a pear stuck in its spines.
>>> Is that standard for a hedgehog?

>No.  There are two "standard" depictions of a hedgehog, that I've seen.
>One without any fruit.  One with grapes (small round balls)
>stuck on the quills.
>
>I only note one example in the O&A with a "fruited" hedgehog. It
>belongs to Mergriet van Edelare (registered July 1996 via Ansteorra):
>Gules, a hedgehog statant argent its quills impaling grapes purpure.

Then you haven't been to the Archive of Ansteorran LoIs, March 1997. Sigen
Fridreksdottir. Device. Per chevron sable and azure, a hedgehog Or between
three Thor's hammers argent.  The lovely drawing has, quite obviously, not
grapes but an apple & a pear impaled on the quills. Nowhere is the fruit
mentioned in either the LoI or the Laurel Acceptance Letter. It has
confused me greatly.

Thanks, Modar (& Daniel) for all the answers to my stupid questions.

Estrill