ANSTHRLD - quick questions

Kevinkeary at aol.com Kevinkeary at aol.com
Tue Jul 18 18:48:03 PDT 2000

Etienne wrote:

<< Estrill wrote:

 >Then you haven't been to the Archive of Ansteorran LoIs, March 1997. Sigen
 >Fridreksdottir. Device. Per chevron sable and azure, a hedgehog Or between
 >three Thor's hammers argent.  The lovely drawing has, quite obviously, not
 >grapes but an apple & a pear impaled on the quills. Nowhere is the fruit
 >mentioned in either the LoI or the Laurel Acceptance Letter. It has
 >confused me greatly.

 I cannot even begin to guess why and she's my Baroness.  If it is not
 in the blazon but is on the registered emblazon then it must have
 been treated as thought the fruit were artistic license.  I also
 thought that the fruit needed to be blazoned.

 Etienne >>

Actually, this is probably my fault.  I was the herald Sigyn consulted on
this device, and the source I'd referenced to find info on hedgehogs I
remembered as saying they were purported to snag 'fruit' from 'orchards' on
their spines.  Hence the artist using tree fruit instead of grapes.  Don't
know if my memory or the source, which is packed away somewhere, was at
fault.  I do remember telling her that the specific fruit was not only
unnecessary in the blazon, but probably unblazonable, like the arming,
languing, or orbing of a lion, and was covered by artistic license.  (I also
told her she couldn't guarantee it'd always be rendered with the fruit she
specified, for the same reasons.)  I was trying to stick close to Taghd's
'ten-word' rule, and this one was already three over.  Well, this wasn't the
least mistake I made as Northkeep's herald.
Kevin