ANSTHRLD - Constellations?

Doug Bell debell at txcyber.com
Thu Jul 20 11:06:59 PDT 2000

>    I have a question:  Are constellations allowed on heraldry?

In a word - No.

We have turned down constellations before and are prepared to do so
again.
(KFW, 17 Dec 72 [36], p. 1)

You cannot have the Southern Cross, as constellations are out of period
for
use as charges. WVS [11] [LoAR 13 Feb 80], pa 7

The use of a constellation as a charge is out of period and not
acceptable.
However, I would be willing to consider an Ursa Major as a charge if you
draw the full constellation of mullets on the proper bear shape as drawn
by
the ancients in our period. The College could then debate whether this
is
acceptable usage, as such drawings did exist in our period. WVS [23]
[LoAR
27 Aug 80], p. 7

[The submittor] must draw the upper portion of the field properly as
mulletty, i.e., more evenly distributed. As drawn now, the design looks
more like an attempt to depict a constellation ... which is not
permitted
as a charge in Society heraldry. (LoAR 28 Dec 86, p. 9)

The design is unbalanced in the extreme, mostly due to the attempt to
counterfeit the effect of a constellation (these are forbidden for
Society
heraldry). (LoAR Aug 88, p. 22)