ANSTHRLD - Cunovinda

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at bmc.com
Thu Jul 20 15:18:07 PDT 2000

As always, a slash after a letter indicates that an accent (in the same
direction as the slash) belongs after the preceeding letter.

>The First Thousand Years of British Names is very helpful.
>http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/tangwystyl/british1000/

Appendix II lists names that "cover the period up to the 4th century."  It
lists <C[uno]vinda>.

Which section had <Cuniovenda>?  I can't locate it (but then I'm in a real
rush right now).

>The best I can come up with for for 4th to 5th century is
>
>Cuniovenda or Cunovinda inigena Chainnech

For that era, we need an even older version of <Chainnech>.

The Annals of Tigernach list:
T518.1	  Caindeach Achaidh Bo/
T600.1   Caindich Achaidh Bo/ Cainnigh
T1089.2  Gilla Caindigh h-Úa Flaitile

Regarding whether or not lenition would be visible in the spelling, the
earliest woman's name in Tigernach with a byname including a word beginning
in "C" is:

T490.2  Eithni Uathach ingen Cremthainn maic Enna Cendselaig

So, my best guess would be
     Cunovinda ingen Caindigh
for a byname wholly in Old Irish.  I don't know if Ogham would be more
appropriate here or not since I don't know what <Chainnech> would become
that early.  If the Ogham is more appropriate, it would be something like
     Cunovinda inigena Caindigh
likely with a minor spelling modification to <Caindigh>.  But I don't know
what it would be.

If she wants to use the <Cuniovenda> spelling you found, the spelling of
the name as a whole may vary a bit depending upon what date goes with that
spelling.

The mix of two languages is probably one weirdness, but it should be
registerable as the two cultures in question surely knew of one another and
had interaction.

The Annals of Tigernach refer to other cultures a number of times.  Some of
those include:

T580.2   Cindaeladh rex Pictorum
T599.2   Gartnaidh regis Pictorum
T631.2   Ci/naetha maic Luchtren, regis Pictorum
T653.2   Tolairg mac Foo/ith regis Pictorum

T506.2   Domanguirt maic Nissi righ Alban
T538.3   Comgall mac Domanguirt. ri Alban
T560.2   Gabrain maic Domanguirt ri/g Alban

Here's the bibliography for the Annals of Tigernach:

Donnchadh {O/} Corr{a/}in, ed., "Annals of Tigernach" (URL:
http://www.ucc.ie/celt/online/G100002.html

>Tangwystyl is the only one I know who could make them
>since she wrote the article.

Amen!  Lots of this really early stuff still throws me for a loop.

If you can find out what spelling(s) the submitter likes of the ones we've
bounced around, I'll zap a note off to Tangwystyl and ask for her input.

Gotta run,

Mari